- Best High Wattage Vape Mods
- Vaporesso TARGET 200
- Geekvape Aegis L200
- Best Small Vape Mods
- Best Squonk Mods
- Other Best Vape Mods
- Voopoo Drag X
- Aspire Mixx
- Dovpo Clutch X18
- Best Mechanical Vape Mod
- Lost Vape Hyperion DNA100C
- Best Temp Control Vape Mod (DNA Board)
- Vaporesso FORZ TX80
- Vaporesso Gen Nano
- JAC Vapour Series S22
- Why Trust Us?
- What is a Vape Mod?
- Variations of Vape Mods & Box Mods
- Types of Vape Mod
- Common Vape Mod Features Explained
- What are Temperature Controlled Vape Mods?
- Vape Mod Batteries
- Vape Mods With Built-In Battery Vs. Replaceable Battery
- User Guide for Vape Mods
- Vape Mods Buying Guide
- Which Vape Mod is right for you?
Finding the best vape mod can be a challenge. There are so many top vape mods on the market that come in all different shapes and sizes, with varying features.
This list comprises the best vape mods on the market that use either removable batteries or an internal battery. If you are looking for the most powerful mod, then take a look at our designated list for high-wattage box mods here.
If you are unsure which type of box mod will suit your style of vaping, take a browse over our guide for finding the best vape mod below.
Best High Wattage Vape Mods
Vaporesso TARGET 200
The Vaporesso Target 200 is the latest in the target line and it brings 200W of power through dual 186550 batteries. It has an elegant and stylish design and sports a water-resistant braided gip that’s incredibly comfortable in the hand. The Target 200 features the latest AXON chipset that is stacked full of features and delivers on performance. An overall outstanding high powered vape device, that is available in 5 colors.
Voopoo Drag 3
The Drag 3 sees Voopoo going back to basics with a dual-18650 vape mod. The Drag 3 follows a long list of high-performing Drag mods and doesn’t disappoint. It has a maximum power output of 177 watts and features a large color screen. The Drag 3 also has exceptional build quality and is wrapped up in a stylish and classy design.
Geekvape Aegis L200
The Geekvape Aegis L200 is actually the Legend 2, an upgrade on one of the best dual 1650 mods of recent times. It is a box mod that is capable of 200W output and is IP68 certified for shock, dust and water resistance. Compared to the Legend it is a lighter device with a larger screen, and it also now has Type-C charging. The Aegis L200 is also available in 11 different color options, so there is a style to suit most vapers.
Best Small Vape Mods
Innokin Coolfire Z80
Innokin’s Coolfire range has always been at the forefront of small vape devices, bringing with them innovative features in sleek and classy designs. The Coolfire Z80 is the epitome of this, bringing Innokin’s FØ technology and Refresh mode, which helps boost flavor and extend coil life. The Coolfire Z80 has a maximum power output of 80W and is available standalone or with the impressive Zenith II tank.
Vaporesso Target 80
The TARGET 80 is equipped with a cage-like frame and combines durability with a stylish compact design. It is powered by Vaporesso’s excellent Axon chip, with an internal 3000mAh battery with a maximum output of 80 watts. The Target 80 also comes with a large color screen and is available in 5 attractive color options.
Geekvape Aegis M100 (Mini 2)
The Aegis M100 (Mini 2) is an excellent upgrade to the ever-popular Aegis Mini. It is powered by an internal 2500mAh battery that can fire up to 100 watts. It also features Geekvape’s Stable Output Buck-boost technology and has a handy lock switch making it safer to carry around. The Aegis M100 also comes with a large color screen and is available in 6 color options.
Best Squonk Mods
Wotofo Profile Squonk
The Wotofo Profile Squonk is an impressive 2-in-1 vape device. It’s the first vape mod that can be used as either an 80W squonker or a dual battery 200W vape mod. This is achieved by replacing one 18650 battery with an excellently designed 7ml silicone bottle, which features a leak proof seal design. The Profile squonk is powered by the fast-firing nexCHIP and can be charged via USB Type-C.
Vandy Vape Pulse V2 BF
The Pulse V2 is a single battery squonk mod from a Vandy Vape and Tony B collaboration. It utilizes 2×700 batteries and can fire up to 95 watts. It also features an innovative bottom-filling design. The Pulse V2 is compatible with the Vandy Vape app. It comes in various colors, including carbon fiber and resin design.
Dovpo Topside Dual
The Topside Dual is the dual 18650 follow-up to the excellent Topside squonk mod. Also designed by Brian from The Vapor Chronicles and manufactured by Dovpo. It features the same innovative top-fill mechanism, incorporating a 10ml squonk bottle. The Topside Dual can fire up to 200 watts and has some incremental improvements to the simple chipset.
Other Best Vape Mods
Voopoo Drag X
Best AIO Vape Mod
The Voopoo Drag X is a power-packed pod mod. Able to output up to 80W of power with a single 18650 battery, the DRAG X can easily handle cloud chasing while remaining accessible to newer vapers. The reliable and quick-firing GENE.TT chipset powers the Drag X, and it comes with push-fit PnP coils with a 0.3Ω mesh and 0.15Ω mesh coils make replacements quick and easy. The Drag X comes in seven color options, each with a different leather or fabric backing.
Best Side-by-Side Vape Mod
The Aspire Mixx is a collaboration with Italian designers SunBox. It has been created from surgical grade stainless steel and sandblasted aluminum and delivers 60 watts of power. The Mixx Mod is powered by a single external 18650 or 18350 battery, depending on the battery sleeve you use. It can fit atomizers with a diameter of up to 24 mm.
Dovpo Clutch X18
Best Mechanical Vape Mod
The Dovpo Clutch X18 is a mechanical box mod formed from a collaboration between Signature Tips and Mike Vapes. It’s a true mech mod that runs on dual parallel 18650 batteries and has a fuse for battery safety and a built-in lock. It also has a hybrid 510 connection, allowing your atomizer to sit directly on the positive end of the battery. It comes in a sleek ergonomic design that’s incredibly comfortable to hold in the hand.
Lost Vape Hyperion DNA100C
Best Temp Control Vape Mod (DNA Board)
The Lost Vape Hyperion DNA100C is powered by the most recent DNA chipset and features military-grade construction. It takes a 21700 battery, fires up to 100 watts, and is IP68 certified. The Hyperion charges through a 3A Type-C connection and delivers Evolv’s distinctive top-notch temperature control excellence.
Vaporesso FORZ TX80
Best Durable Vape Mod
The Vaporesso FORZ TX80 is a single 18650 vape mod that features the Axon 2.0 chipset with a power output of 80W. The chipset has several vaping modes for you to engage with, and there’s an 0.69″ OLED screen embedded in its solid construction. The FORZ TX80 comes with an IP67 rating, meaning it is water, shock, and dust-proof.
Vaporesso Gen Nano
Best Mini Vape Mod
The Nano edition of the Vaporesso Gen is compact with a punch that can fire up to 80 watts powered by an internal 2000 mAh battery. The Gen Nano has the latest Axon chipset with a host of smart vaping features and is an excellent mod for MTL tanks and even mid-range sub-ohm tanks.
JAC Vapour Series S22
Best Vape Mod for Beginners
The Series-S22 is a discreet all-day vape with a 2600mah vape battery and a quick-fill vape tank. If you are a beginner looking for a starter kit, JAC Vapour has designed it with you in mind. The Series-22 has the familiar mouth-to-lung sensation you associate with a cigarette, with resistance on the draw, of a real direct-lung vape experience. The rubber coating gives it a rugged construction to last against knocks and drops.
GET 15% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER: CODE VB15
Why Trust Us?
The whole team at Vaping Vibe works collaboratively on all of our Best Vape recommendations.
Each member of our team has experience in reviewing and testing vape products for many years. Along with our expert input and practical experience in using the devices, we conduct market research.
This enables us to provide accurate buyer’s guides and only recommend products we would use ourselves or recommend to close friends and family. Find out more about our review process.
What is a Vape Mod?
A vape mod or box mod is essentially a case that contains one or more rechargeable batteries that supply the power or electricity to the heating element or vaping atomizer. They can also be referred to as box mods or vapor mods.
The term “mod” came from the early years when vaping hobbyists would ‘modify’ existing electrical hardware of cases and batteries for their own custom use. Now all vaping boxes are called vaping mods.
Almost universally, all box mods have a firing switch or button. Simply press the fire button, and the atomizer gets power from the batteries within the mod and “fires,” vaporizing the e-liquid with the heating of a coil. Release the button, and then the power is cut off.
Variations of Vape Mods & Box Mods
Vape mods and Box mods come in different shapes and sizes, each of which may show distinctions with their internal configurations or aesthetics.
There are two different battery configurations used; either integrated or replaceable. The integrated battery box mods consist of LiPo or Li-Ion batteries, which can usually only be charged via a USB cable. Most USB chargeable box mods allow vaping while recharging, called “passthrough” mode.
Removable battery vapes mods may incorporate one to four rechargeable Li-Ion batteries, although one or two is most common.
Removable battery mods allow users to “swap out” depleted batteries for fully charged ones, so battery life becomes less of an issue. Both types of mods are popular and regularly available.
Not only do vape mods and box mods come in different styles, but also a variety of regulating chips/boards depending on the manufacturer, providing simple safety protections to more sophisticated functions, such as temperature control and variable wattage output.
Most of them will have a display screen showing all the included functions and settings information.
Vape mods can come in any conceivable type of design, from a mix of materials like; wood, metal, or plastic. Also, with a range of colors, and some even push the boundaries to become sought-after works of art.
As with most vaping equipment, box mods qualify as disposable. This is down to the cheaper materials used in some devices, which can lead to decreased lifespan and exponential advances in technology that make many outdated within a year of the vaping world. However, many of the high-end quality material devices will serve you well for years to come.
Types of Vape Mod
There are several distinct sorts of vapes that fall under the “vape mod” category, and while there are many ways to differentiate them, some of the most significant types include:
- Box mods: These are box-shaped devices that usually have a high power output and plenty of additional features. They come in various sizes and either have internal or replaceable batteries. A display screen and additional buttons for making adjustments are standard on most box mods.
- Tube mods: These are often tube-shaped devices. Unlike box mods, they typically don’t have display screens, and you usually can’t adjust settings. At best, there are a few different fixed wattages or voltages to choose from. Tube mods are a lot easier to use than box mods but less flexible.
- “Regulated” mods: A regulated mod is any type of vape mod (e.g., box mod or tube) that has some kind of internal regulation to allow for safety cutoffs and adjustable and consistent power output. The vast majority of vape mods sold today are regulated mods.
- Mechanical mods: A mechanical mod is effectively a tube for the battery and a connection point for the atomizer. They typically have buttons at the bottom, which you push to make the battery physically contact the atomizer and let the power flow. They are the simplest type of vape mod in design and functionality. However, the power output is based on the battery or remaining charge, and importantly, there aren’t any safety features.
- Pod mods: The term “pod mod” refers to many pod-style vaping devices. This term can be a little confusing sometimes, as most pod systems are more like vape pens. However, recently they have become more vape mod-style devices with adjustable wattages, display screens, and other mod-like features.
- Squonk Mods: Squonk Mods (also known as bottom feeder mods) are vapes that contain a bottle of liquid tucked inside the shell of the device, alongside the batteries. An opening on the mod’s body allows the user to squeeze or ‘squonk’ the bottle, pushing vape juice up a tube and through the firing pin of an RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer). This allows the wicks of an RDA’s to saturate, then excess liquid seeps back into the reservoir below.
Common Vape Mod Features Explained
Advanced mods have a more comprehensive range of capabilities, which might cause confusion when you’re first starting out. However, the majority of functions aren’t tricky to understand, and with a bit of crash course, you’ll be able to get pretty far:
- Variable wattage: This is simply the capacity to alter the amount of power supplied to your coil. More watts equals more vapor.
- Temperature control: The temperature control (TC) options allow you to establish a maximum temperature for your coil/vape instead of depending on just wattage. The mod registers the change in resistance based on the temperature, so you’ll need specific coils (nickel, titanium, or stainless steel) to make it function.
- Adjustable TCR: The “temperature coefficient of resistance” (or TCR) setting is how the mod calculates temperature based on the changes in resistance of the coil. If a mod has an adjustable TCR, you can fine-tune how the temperature control responds based on the material you are using.
- Bypass mode: The Bypass mode merely switches off the wattage output circuit, leaving you with the battery life which is the amount of volts still in your battery. It transforms a regulated mod into a mechanical mod while maintaining safety features.
- Variable power curve: Variable power curves allow the user to set a pattern for the wattage to follow during each vape. For example, you can set it to start out at a higher wattage and then decrease gradually, vice-versa, or really whatever you prefer.
- Smart mode: Many manufacturers have “smart mode” on their vape mods, which means the mod automatically detects the coil installed and suggests the best wattage for it. It essentially automates the process of finding the optimum setting. This can sometimes have other names like “FIT Mode” on Voopoo devices.
- Safety features: There are numerous safety features on vape mods. The most common give you protection if insert the batteries the wrong way, hold fire for too long (10 second cut-off), try to vape with too little battery life, or if there’s a short circuit of the vape device overheats.
What are Temperature Controlled Vape Mods?
When vaping began in 2005, it used primarily fixed voltage power sources. Then in 2011, variable voltage was developed, quickly followed by variable wattage.
Then in 2014, temperature control followed on from those earlier improvements. Temperature Control (or TC) was a significant development in the technology in vaping chips and is now an industry-standard feature.
All atomizers vaporize e-liquid by heating a metal element, usually a coiled wire. Vape juice is then supplied to the atomizer by a wicking material of either; cotton, silica, or another fibrous cellulose material, which goes through or around the wired coil or coils.
However, if the wick is not sufficiently saturated with vape juice, then it can result in what’s called a “dry hit.” This is when no vapor is produced and becomes a terrible, nasty burnt taste.
Also, unregulated vape mods perform less efficiently when the battery/batteries drain. So, what may start out as a great-tasting vape with charged batteries begins to diminish over time, providing less flavor and vapor.
Temperature control can address both these issues by regulating and controlling the amount of power supplied to the coil. When the coil is not amply soaked in vape juice, it quickly overheats, producing dry hits. Temperature control technology doesn’t actually sense the working temperature and instead, it monitors the changing resistance of the coil, which corresponds to predictable changes in temperature. Therefore when the coil begins to overheat, the TC chip will instantly reduce the power, preventing the wick from burning and eliminating dry hits. Also, if the coil becomes completely dry, the power will be entirely cut off.
Also, temp control provides a consistent vape throughout, utilizing all of the power range during the battery drain.
Temp control vape mods require atomizers to be made from coils using one of three specific wire types; stainless steel, nickel, or titanium. However, as the technology is improved and refined, other wire types, such as Nichrome, or even Tungsten, may be usable with temp control.
TC lets vapers specify the maximum temperature allowed before temp protection activates. The range is typically 300-600° Fahrenheit or 100-300° Centigrade. The mod will apply as much power as necessary to maintain the set temperature, but never more.
Temp control has not been comprehensively adopted by all vapers. However, those who use TC swear by it due to better battery life and e-liquid efficiency – and seemingly a more consistent vape.
Vape Mod Batteries
Vape mods either include internal batteries or will use replaceable batteries. In either case, it’s essential to understand some basics to help you choose the best vape mod kit for you.
The first thing to note is that box mod battery sizes are expressed as a series of five digits. The most popular vaping battery size is the 18650, which refers to a battery with an 18 mm diameter and a 65 mm length. Other common battery configurations include the 20700 (20 mm diameter, 70 mm length), 21700 (21 mm diameter, 70 mm length), and 18350 (18 mm diameter, 35 mm length).
A battery’s capacity indicates the battery life and therefore how long it will last before requiring a charge. The capacity of a battery is measured in mAh, which stands for milliamp hours.
A capacity of 1000 mAh, for example, is equivalent to delivering a current of 1000 milliamps (mA) for one hour or 500 mA of current for two hours, 200 mA for five hours, and so on. This isn’t really possible to estimate in vaping terms, but a 3000 mAh battery will generally last twice as long as a 1500mAh battery.
Finally, the battery’s amp limit is a crucial variable to examine when purchasing a vape mod without an internal battery. This informs you how much current the battery can safely deliver, and it’s typically significant if you intend to use your device at high power settings.
Regulated mods will include built-in safety features, but you’ll still require a battery with a 15A continuous current limit or (ideally) higher. It is essential to understand battery limits and safety with mechanical mods, as they will not provide any protection.
Vape Mods With Built-In Battery Vs. Replaceable Battery
Vape mods and box mods can come with either built-in batteries or operate using separate replaceable batteries. Here is a quick summary of the pros and cons of both:
- Doesn’t require a purchase of a separate battery or charger
- Requires less knowledge of vape battery safety
- Solid construction, no removable battery door
- When the battery wears out, the device will need to be replaced (1 yr average)
- When the battery life depletes, you have to stop vaping and recharged
Replaceable Vape Battery:
- Extends the life of the device
- Can easily swap batteries when low
- Wide choice of batteries
- Separate expense
- Requires purchase of separate battery charger
- Some knowledge of battery safety required
Charging Vape Mod Batteries
To charge a built-in, internal vape battery, simply connect the mod to a USB port via the supplied cable (Micro USB port or Type C). Depending on the technology and battery capacity, it could take two to three hours to charge fully.
It’s a different story if you need to recharge your individual or replaceable vape batteries. The vast majority of the best vape mods will also have a port for USB charging. However, we recommend charging your vape batteries in an external battery charger.
A dedicated vape battery charger will charge your batteries faster, balanced, and more efficiently.
User Guide for Vape Mods
Of course, all the best vape mods come with instructions manuals, and for unique features or shortcuts, you will have to refer to it for the best experience. However, most vape mods will work in basically the same way. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Power on/off: Typically, press the fire button five times in quick succession to switch the device on/off.
- Adjust setting: Most vape mods have dedicated adjustment buttons (+/-) to change the settings of the currently active mode. Alternatively, you may have to press the fire button a few times to highlight the setting or cycle through available settings.
- Switch mode: If your vape mod has different modes (wattage mode, smart mode, bypass mode, and temperature control), you typically enter the mode setting by pressing the fire button a few times in succession. Some devices (Vaporesso) have a dedicated mode button on the vape device.
- Changing coils or tanks: When changing coils or switching to a different vape tank, some of the best box mods will recognize the change. The screen will display “Same coil?” or something similar and indicate buttons for the response. It’s important to always select the appropriate response, as it could lead to inconsistent performance.
Vape Mods Buying Guide
There are some main things to consider when looking for the best vape mod for your needs:
- Power output: Many vape devices advertise high maximum wattages. Realistically you are unlikely to vape over a maximum power output of 100W. In fact, even 80W is enough for most vapers. So don’t be seduced by the large power output number.
- Internal or separate battery: Getting an internal battery vape mod simplifies things, especially if you don’t already own vape batteries. However, if you are making the investment to vape for a long time, there are many benefits to buying a device with replaceable batteries. You can replace batteries when they no longer hold their charge; you can bring spare batteries with you when away from a charger. If you don’t mind the added complexities, replaceable battery vape mods are the best approach.
- Other features: While some vapers use temperature control vaping or power curves, most will stick with standard adjustable wattage. Therefore don’t worry too much about tons of fancy features. Unless you really need something, like ‘Smart Mode,’ which is a good option if you are new to vaping.
- Portability: If you want maximum battery life, it’s typically best to go for larger vape mods. However, that always comes at the cost of portability. Dual-battery vape mods can be bulky and cumbersome, while single-battery mods are more portable and convenient. A single battery mod may be the best option if you are usually out often but normally close to a charger.
- Price: As with most things, the quality of vape kits typically improves with the more money you spend, so avoid cheap vape mods. However, plenty of affordable best vape mods from reputable vape companies offer great quality so read the reviews for the best vape mods.
Which Vape Mod is right for you?
With so many vape mod options on the market, it’s easy to get confused. Hopefully, our guide on the best vape mod kits above has helped clarify some of the main points. If you are still a little lost, perhaps ask yourself the following questions:
- How small or large do I want my vaping mod to be?
- How much power do I want?
- How important are the ergonomics and aesthetics of my box mod?
- How important is sophisticated chip technology for me?
- How long can I vape between battery charges?
- How important is temperature control for me?
- How much am I prepared to spend?
There’s undoubtedly a vape mod or box mod available in the market for any combination of responses; check our above list to see if any of our best vape mods fit your answers.